Thursday 16 January 2014

January - 15 to Valparaiso

Went back to the bike shop in the morning to get the bikes, and ended up making a deal with Christobal, the owner of the shop, to buy the bikes once we are back in Santiago.  Today we are making the long ride of about 500km to Valparaiso, a port city on the coast near Santiago.  Valparaiso and another city, Vina Del Mar are basically attached to one another.  Valparaiso is very old, with lots of tradition and architecture, Vina to the north is the newer, oceanside playground for the rich of Santiago.
   We left Chillan at about noon and headed north. Our route just cuts through the south and western side of Santiago before heading tO the coast.  We hit the Santiago part at about 5:30' rush hour!  At one point, in about 5 or 6 lannes of traffic, the gps lets me know the name of the road to take and I have to cut quickly across 3 lanes of traffic for the exit.  once I have made the road, I look in my mirror and see that Al and Chris didnt make it.  I park in front of the next gas station I see for about an hour, but they dont appear.  I guess this would be a good time for them to use the GPS's they have for the first time instead of just following!
  I head back on the road and make Valparaiso at about 9:30.  I stopped and wait where the GPS directions ended, hoping they might show up there.  After about 30 more minutes, I decide to get a hotel, finding a nice one near the centre square.
  In the hotel room, I connect to Wifi and get an email from Chris, they are in Valparaiso, at a gas station.  I let them know where I am, and they pull in at about 11:00.   Seems they got crossed up in Santiago for a while, and in the end used the GPS and found there way here.  They also had help from some friendly Chileans giving them directions.  Chileans are friendly and helpful it seems, except when driving.  when driving, they are complete psychopaths, with absolutely no regard for anything outside of their little cage.
  tomorrow, we will sight see these twin cities.  Here is a couple of views from my hotel window.
Looking left

Looking right


No comments:

Post a Comment